Sunday, April 9, 2023

AUDITIONS FOR FALL: MACHINAL

AUDITIONS FOR SLOT 1: SUNDAY, APRIL 23RD starting at 2:00pm

- Sign up here for a timeslot:  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dHVQiMeyQRHzjoJ8gyYDeuZmaOIIvZDwoZRwDDHqKdA/edit?usp=sharing

- Fill out the audition form here:

https://forms.gle/vdHgcXiXsrcdfupSA


The first production for next year's mainstage will be Machinal by Sophie Treadwell directed by Casey Seymour Kim.

This piece is a fantastic, highly stylized piece from 1928 -- it is considered one of the best Expressionist plays written by a US playwright.

Like the musical Chicago, this play was inspired by real events -- the murder trial of Ruth Snyder -- and while Machinal is not a musical, the writing has intense musicality and rhythm.

Callbacks will be Sunday, April 30th at 7:00pm. Rehearsals will begin late August and the show will perform beginning of October 2023.


(For the Wiki entry -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinal.)

(For the entire play -- http://www.ciaranhinds.eu/pdf/machinal.pdf)

When you read the script, there are a lot of interrupted thoughts and conversations, so it can be tricky to read on the page. 

Things become much clearer once one can hear the lines spoken.

A final note on the script -- this play is now nearly 100 years old; there are terms, and character descriptions and attitudes that contemporary readers may find problematic. Most of these choices are deliberate -- the characters are deeply flawed and this play is a condemnation of society's power and class structure. For the other moments, we will work to adjust the script while preserving the original intent of the playwright.


Auditioners can choose from any of the 4 following monologues (Casey SK will make copies of these monologues and leave them upstairs at the MTD department desk).


Young Woman (talking to her mother, after her boss has proposed to her):

I've always thought I'd find somebody -- somebody young - -and --and attractive -- with wavy hair -- wavy hair -- I always think of children with curls -- little curls all over their head -- somebody young -- and attractive -- that I'd like -- that I'd love -- But I haven't found anybody like that yet -- I haven't found anybody -- I've hardly known anybody -- you'd never let me go with anybody and I just mean I've never found anybody -- anybody -- nobody's ever asked me -- till now -- he's the only man that's every asked me -- And I suppose I got to marry somebody -- all girls do -- But, I can't go on like this, Ma -- I don't know why -- but I can't -- it's like I'll all tight inside... I can't go on like this much longer -- going to work -- coming home -- going to work -- coming home -- I can't -- Sometimes in the subway I think I'm going to die ... I got to do something.


Husband (to his wife, in the maternity ward of the hospital):

Everything OK? (Wife shakes her head 'No') Now see here, my dear, you've got to brace up, you know! And -- and face things! Everybody's got to brace up and face things! That's what makes the world go round, I know all you've been through but (Wife shakes her head 'No') Oh yes, I do! I know all about it! I was right outside all the time. Oh yes! But you've got to brace up now! Make an effort! Pull yourself together! Start the up-hill climb! Oh, I've been down -- but I haven't stayed down. I've been lickedbut I haven't stayed licked! I've pulled myself up by my own bootstraps, and that's what you've got to do! Will power! That's what conquers! Look at me!  Now you've got to brace up! Face the music! ... Take life by the horns! Look it in the face! Having a baby's natural! Perfectly natural thing -- why should ... (Wife reacts; Husband turns to Nurse ) She's got that gagging again -- like she had the last time I was here...


Nurse (to the new mother):

How are you feeling today? Better? No Pain? You're getting along fine. Such a sweet baby you have, too. Aren't you glad it's a girl? (Mother shakes her head 'No')

You're not! Oh, my! That's no way to talk! Men want boys -- women ought to want girls. (No response),. Maybe you didn't want either, eh? You'll feel different when it begins to nurse. You'll just love it then. Your milk hasn't come yet -- has it? It will! ... Anything else you want? Draft? The noise? (Mother nods her head 'Yes') Oh, that can't be helped. Hospital's got to have a new wing, We're the biggest Maternity Hospital in the world. I'll close the window, though... Here's your man!


Young Man (to his new lover):

You haven't been around much, have you, kid? I could tell that just to look at you. What are you running around with a girl like that other one for? You're all right. You just haven't met the right guy -- that's all -- 'girl like you -- you got to meet the right guy, You're different from girls like that other one -- any guy'll do her. You're different. You didn't fall for that business gag -- did you -- when they went off? Come along -- let's go. You know what you seem like to me? An angel. Just like an angel. ... Let's go. Just a step -- come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment