Sunday, November 26, 2023

THTR 091 Information for Freshmen -- 2nd Posting

This is information about THTR 091 and the end-of-semester juries. This information has already been published here on the Callboard, but just in case anyone needs it all in one post, here it is:

What are the juries?
At the end of each semester, students concentrating in Performance and Musical Theatre must complete an assignment (performing and filming monologues or songs) and then have a short meeting with Bill Wilson and Casey Seymour Kim. 
When are they?
Each student has been given an assigned time and day.
These times have been posted on the RIC Callboard.
If you do not see your name on the list, just let us know and we'll figure out a time for you. 
Where are they?
The meetings will be in the BABS (Billie Anne Burill Studio) -- the studio space that is next to the elevator in the Nazarian Center, around the corner of the dance studio and vending machines. Theatre performance classes are held there.
What do I need to do/What is my assignment?
All Freshman in their first semester are assigned the same monologue.
1. Read through the monologue and film yourself performing it.
2. Upload the video to this padlet page, or send it to Casey Seymour Kim (casey.seymourkim@gmail.com) or Bill Wilson (wwilson@ric.edu.)
3. Please submit this at least 2 days before your meeting with Bill and Casey.
[FYI -- all of these details are on the RIC Callboard. Part of being a theatre major is checking the RIC Callboard every week for announcements and information about auditions, workshops, talks, rehearsal times, etc.]
*******
Here is the monologue information:
*******
This is a monologue from the short play Variations on the Death of Trotsky by David Ives. 
(You can access a pdf of the play at this linkIt is very short.)

Trotsky:

So even an assassin can make the flowers grow. The gardener was false, and yet the garden that he tended was real. How was I to know he was my killer when I passed him every day? How was I to know that the man tending the nasturtiums would keep me from seeing what the weather will be like tomorrow? How was I to know I'd never see Casablanca, which wouldn't be made until 1942 and which I would have despised anyway? How was I to know I'd never get to know about the bomb, or the eighty thousand dead at Hiroshima? Or rock and roll, or Gorbachev, or the state of Israel? How was I supposed to know I'd be erased from the history books of my own land..?

Sometime, for everyone, there's a room that you go into, and it's the room that you never leave. Or else you go out of a room and it's the last room that you'll ever leave. This is my last room.

No comments:

Post a Comment