Friday, November 26, 2021

Freshman Performance Monologue for 091 Submissions

Hello all!

Here is the monologue for the Freshman Performance and General Concentrators (and also those who wish to be Performance Concentrators) who are taking THTR 091. (For those of you who are not Freshman or new to the program -- every Performance/General concentrator is not on my advisee list, and you can help spread the word!)

Please have it memorized and upload the video of your performance to this padlet link by December 3:

https://padlet.com/caseyseymourkim/egekupmaeooufxl6

This monologue is from the play Variations on the Death of Trotsky by David Ives. I strongly recommend reading the play. (It is a one-act, so it is short.) If you need the PDF, email me and I will send it to you. (casey.seymourkim@gmail.com)

Thank you and have a wonderful holiday weekend!

--Casey SK

Here is the Monologue:

Trotsky:     So even an assassin can make the flowers grow. The gardener was false, and yet the garden that he tended was real. How was I to know he was my killer when I passed him every day? How was I to know that the man tending the nasturtiums would keep me from seeing what the weather will be like tomorrow? How was I to know I'd never see Casablana, which wouldn't be made until 1942 and which I would have despised anyway? How was I to know I'd never get the know about the bomb, or the eighty thousand dead at Hiroshima? Or rock and roll, or Gorbachev, or the state of Israel? How was I supposed to know I'd be erased from the history books of my own land..?

Sometime, for everyone, there's a room that you go into, and it's the room that you never leave. Or else you go out of a room and it's the last room that you'll leave.

This is my last room.


No comments:

Post a Comment