Sunday, January 30, 2022

The House of Bernarda Alba Information/ Sign up sheets

REQUIREMENTS:

All female-identifying and non-binary actors are encouraged to audition!

Prepare a thirty-second to one minute monologue/piece of text from a reality TV show (e.g., Love Island, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Big Brother, etc.). Please also prepare a thirty-second to one minute monologue from the script (attached below).

FOR THE REALITY TV SHOW PIECE: Please stray from popular pieces of text that you may have heard on TikTok or Twitter. (e.g., “People are dying, Kim” or “Maybe if you had a business…” etc.)

The challenge is: keep original with these text readings. Have FUN! Have some different tactics prepared as well.

Be prepared to read text from the script. Callbacks will only be done if needed. For those in CABARET and ALL IN THE TIMING, we will work through conflicts, so please sign up!

I cannot wait to see and meet you all! This is going to be such a cool and collaborative experience -- any questions please feel free to reach out to me at dbowden_6879@email.ric.edu or our stage manager, Emily at ecaprio_4235@email.ric.edu.
-Dylan

Below you will find monologues from the script to prepare for auditions: (if you would like to read the full script before auditions please contact Dylan or Emily)

MARTIRIO. (If you are interested in auditioning for MARTIRIO or ANGUSTIAS, please read this monologue) 

No, but history repeats itself. It’s better never to look at a man. I’ve been afraid of them since I was a little girl. I used to watch them in the corral, yoking the bullocks, lifting the sacks of grain, with their loud voices and heavy boots… and always I was afraid of getting older for fear that I would suddenly find myself… in their arms. God made me weak and ugly and kept them away from me. One time I stood in my nightgown at the window until daybreak, because Enrique sent the field hand’s little girl to tell me he’d be coming, and he didn’t come. It was all talk. Then he married someone else, with more than me… What do men care about ugliness? All that matters to them is land, yokes of oxen, and a submissive bitch who’ll give them something to eat. 

ADELA. (If you are interested in auditioning for ADELA, MAGDALENA, or AMELIA, please read this monologue) 

There’s no way out. Whoever has to drown will drown. Pepe el Romano is mine. He will carry me away to the reeds by the sea. I can’t stand the horror of being under this roof anymore, not after tasting his mouth. I will be what he wants me to be. All the village against me, burning me with their pointing fingers, persecuted by those who call themselves decent people, and I will put on, in front of them all, the crown of thorns that belongs to the mistresses of married men. Yes, we’ll let him marry Angustias, its not important to me, but I’ll move to a little house by myself, where he’ll come and see me whenever he wants, whenever he desires me. You can’t stop me. You’re weak. I could bring a wild stallion to its knees with the strength of my little finger. 

They teach us to love our sisters. God must have abandoned me in this darkness, because I see you now as if I’d never seen you anywhere before. 

PONCIA. (If you are interested in auditioning for BERNARDA, PONCIA, or MARIA JOSEFA, please read this monologue) 

It’s easier for people who’ve had a little experience, who’ve been taught how to speak and know what to say. When my husband, Evaristo the Birdman, first came to my window… Hahaha. It was very dark. I saw him coming closer and when he arrived, he said to me: “Good evening.” “Good evening,” I said to him and we didn’t speak for more than half and hour. The sweat was running down my entire body. And then Evaristo came closer and closer as if he was trying to squeeze through the bars and said in a very low voice, “Come here, I want to feel you!” And then after — he behaved himself. Instead of going to someone else, he started breeding canaries until he died. All of you are single, but you may as well know that fifteen days after the wedding, the man leaves the bed for the table and then the table for the tavern, and any woman who doesn’t accept this, rots away crying in the corner.

Please sign up for a time slot for auditions: (Auditions are 2/20/22 7pm-10pm)


Please fill out the audition form:

No comments:

Post a Comment