Sunday, October 10, 2021

Never the Sinner Callbacks

Congratulations to all who came out to the audition. You all did exceptionally well and made my job very difficult! The following people have been called back: 


Leopold: 

Alex LeBlanc 
Brayden Fanti
Nick Corsi
Derek Rivera

Loeb:     
Alex LeBlanc
Daniel O’Donnell
Derek Rivera
Nick Corsi 

Darrow: 
Bailey Oliveira
Daniel O’Donnell
Mackenzie Richard

Crowe:   
Brayden Fanti
Mackenzie Richard
Reegan Camire


Callbacks will be held on Sunday, October, 17th from 2pm - 5pm in the Little Theatre. Please prepare the sides for the roles that you have been called back for. I know that most of you have not been able to read the full play as it is very difficult to find. That being said I am not looking for you to memorize your sides, rather familiarize yourselves with the material. 

Any questions please don’t hesitate to contact Jared Nobrega or Mak Holahan.


LOEB AND LEOPOLD SIDES

(Pages 74 - 75)
Leopold: “Despite the misguided opinion of Dr. White I can state categorically that I was driving
the car at the time and was not responsible for striking the blows that killed poor Bobby Franks. I
would only be too happy to swear under oath that Nathan Leopold was responsible for the
murderous attack…” You’ve got to be kidding!
 
Loeb: Come on, Babe -
 
Leopold: You know perfectly well you did it - What’s the use of claiming it was me?! It makes no
difference as to our actual guilt. We are both equally guilty!
 
Loeb: Just so. It makes no legal difference anyhow, so why do you care? Look, I just think it
would be easier on my mom if she thought you did it. Maybe if she thinks I didn’t actually, you
know … kill him … then maybe she might … I don’t know ….
 
Leopold: I have a family too, you know!
 
Loeb: and your family has been with you every step of the way!
  
Leopold: I’m sorry, Dick, I can’t go along with this.
  
Loeb: Why is this such a fucking big deal with you all of a sudden?!
  
Leopold: Does the truth have no value then?!
  
Loeb: I don’t see why, when did it ever before?!
 
 Leopold: I am incapable of murdering anyone!
  
Loeb: Is that so?! Nathan Leopold Jr., the “Mad Genius” not capable of murder?! I mean, Babe,
today I got this postcard from some little floozy that said: “Keep your faith up, Dick. We know
that you have been badly led astray by that horrible Leopold.” How do you like that, horrible
Leopold?!
  
Leopold: It’s nonsense!
 
Loeb: Of course it is! I know that old chum, and you know that, but they don’t know that. So we
laugh at them, just like always. So what’s it going to be then? Do we go on together or do we go
our separate ways? What do you say, boy-o? Us against us or us against them?
 
Leopold: I will not accept this.
 
Loeb: You will not accept this?
 
Beat
 
Leopold: No.


DARROW SIDES
(Page 84)
 
Darrow: I have stood for three months as one might stand trying to sweep back the
tide. I wish to make no false pretenses in this court. The easiest thing and the most popular
thing to do would be to hang my clients. I know it. Men and women who do not think will
applaud. The cruel and thoughtless will approve. It will be easy… today. But stretching out over
this land more and more fathers and mothers, the humane, the kind, and the hopeful - who are
gaining an understanding not only for these two boys but of their own as well - they will join in
no acclaim at the death of my clients. They would ask that the shedding of blood be stopped.
 
(Pause.)
 
Your Honor stands now between the future and the past. I know the future is with me,
and what I stand for here. I am pleading for life and understanding. I am pleading for the infinite
mercy that considers all. I am pleading for a time when hatred and cruelty will not control the
hearts of men, when we can learn by reason and judgment and understanding that mercy is the
highest attribute of man. And it is all that will someday … someday … redeem us.


CROWE SIDES
(Page 79)

Crowe: Your Honor, society can endure. Criminals can escape punishment, and the law can endure. All manner of crime and corruption can be heaped on the head of pure Justice and still, she will hold her head high in pride. But if a court, such as this court, should say that it believes in the doctrine of Darrow, that you should not hang when the law says you must, then a greater blow has been struck to our institution than by a hundred, yes, a thousand murderers. And it is a blow, your Honor, that will leave us crippled! Violated! And palpably less than we were before these streets were echoing with the names of Leopold and Loeb!

No comments:

Post a Comment